<

September 21, 2008

Theres One Thing That You Gotta Understand



Yep the time is ripe for a music post.

Let me rephrase that.
The time is ripe for a music post with lots of bullet points because I don't feel like fashioning my thoughts in to logical coherent paragraphs that come together to prove an over all thesis. Also I'm going to add a bunch of unnecessary videos because it's my blog and I can do whatever the hell I want.

  • Little Man Tate released a new CD called Nothing Worth Having Comes Easy. It's worth a listen if you're in the mood for new music
  • I took a trip to the Johnstown Folk Music Festival a few weeks ago. Always a good time. I actually got to meet and hang out with one of my favorite bands Seven Nations a few years ago. Anyway they didn't have a celtic Rock band in the line up this year but all and all I was pleasantly surprised by their musical spread. Two Groups really stood out.
Big Sam's Funky Nation -
A group mixing Funk with the sounds of a New Orleans Brass Band. The lead singer Big Sam spends half of the show belting out ridiculously cool tunes on his trombone while doing creole street dances around the stage. When I showed up halfway through their set they had an audience of a few hundred people that didn't look anything like Funk aficionados jumping around going crazy. These guys are entertainers pure and simple and I'd love to see them again if I get the chance


Jason Ricci & New Blood
Jason Ricci is the best harmonica player you will ever hear, I guarantee it. The music has a lot of jazz, funk, and blues influences along with a healthy hard rock crunch. I loved their vocals especially the girl that did lead vocals on a couple of the blues riffs, she was lights out. I went home after the show and downloaded two of their CDs, they were so good that I'll probably buy them from the website when I stop spending all my internet related time worrying about my fantasy football team.
  • Right-o if you consider that the Good I guess this is the Bad.
I got a call a few weeks ago from some friends. They had an extra ticket to a show and asked me to go along. We'll I've never been one to turn down live music no mater how good or bad (after all I lived with the travesty that was Those Handsome Devils for an entire year) Anywhoo the show turned out to be made up heavy metal bands, not exactly my cup of tea. If you want to to get the image of me at a heavy metal show just imagine me at Players then add some really weird piercings and lots of black cloths. All and all awkward. Don't get me wrong live music is always cool, and if I was on a metal kick I'm sure I would have loved it but I've never been a fan of the angry mosh pit. I just don't want to get punched in the back of the head while I listen to music.

Speaking of metal apparently Metallica has a new CD. I did go through a Metallica stage in Ninth grade and I still maintain that S & M was one of the best concert CDs ever released but St Anger was the worst album I ever bought and I refuse to listen to one single song until the band personally apologizes and gives me my money back. Even then it probably not find it's way into the ipod. I mean how pissed would the 14-year-old wanna-be-metal- head-Nittanyproudfoot be if he found out most of my music collection was made up of Ska and Brit-Rock?

  • The Good (check), The Bad( Yep that too), The........Geekcore?
Right so I go to that metal show and all the bands are loud and angry and screaming into the microphone about how girls don't like them and how they want to punch a baby. Then all of a sudden this little white guy walks up on stage, plugs in his laptop and starts rapping. I'm not sure who was more shocked me or the crowed of metal head. So the guys name is MC Chris apparently he is a Geekcore rapper (think hip hop Weezer) and in my book he puts on one hell of a show. He was definitely was worth the trip to the South Side and the ridiculous parking debacle that went along with it. The really cool thing is all of his music mixes rap with geek culture which is great because I love rap but I've spent much more of my life watching cartoons than I have shooting people over turf wars and crack deals. His music is hilarious and it's definitely a nice change of pace from musicians with more serious messages.




The Guy also provides some serious major league witty banter between songs here's him talking about The Goonies


That is some funny funny stuff.

Somewhere in an alternate dimension Heavy Metal Nittanyproudfoot Grinds His teeth
Hahahaha wait till he hears my collection of Big Band Revival!

peace out yo

2 Comments:

At 9:23 PM , Blogger Brian said...

If you want Geek rap check out Optimus Rhyme. http://www.optimusrhyme.com

 
At 9:31 PM , Blogger Brian said...

If you want Nerdcore rap, listen to Optimus Rhyme.

http://www.optimusrhyme.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home